1. Things started out a little slow, with the crowds at the National Mall looking distinctly thin on the ground:
2. If only all of us could be so calm, Barron Trump.
— Mashable (@mashable) January 20, 2017
3. Michelle Obama’s face was purest thunder. For every. single. second.
— marco miranda (@simplymarcoo) January 20, 2017
4. At least former president George W. Bush was having a great time. It must have occurred to him that he’s no longer going to be remembered as the worst president in history.
Dubya is loving life. Source AP
5. Trump campaign leader Kellyanne Conway wore a $3600 Gucci coat that was designed to celebrate, er, London. Better than Moscow, I suppose.
6. President Trump’s inauguration speech was angry and forceful and above all promised, quite literally, the world.
He attacked the records of all previous presidents, and promised to deliver everything, absolutely everything the American people could ever want, though with no hint of how he hoped to achieve it all, like a tangerine Jesus.
Here are the President’s top promises that he has said, unequivocally, that he will provide to the American people when he takes office on Monday:
a) “American carnage” would stop “right here, right now” – referring to the country’s widespread drugs, guns and violence.
b) He will “bring back jobs” and replenish the military. “We will bring back our jobs, our borders, our wealth and our dreams.”
c) He will eradicate “radical islamic terrorism” from the face of the earth.
d) He will – astonishingly – ”free the earth of the misery of disease”.
e) He will rebuild the nation’s infrastructure. “We will get our people back to work, rebuilding our country with American hands and American labour,” he said, making him sound like Franklin D Roosevelt, the world’s most revered, er, Democratic president.
f) He will “never, ever” let the American people down.
Trump speaks for the first time as President. Source: AP
These are serious promises and will be seriously difficult to deliver – and this speech will be played over and over and over to remind the new president of everything he told the American people that he would achieve.
Guess we can only sit back and watch what happens.
— FEIM (@FeimM) January 20, 2017
Alexandra Carlton |
Michelle Obama looked horrified. George W Bush was having a ball. And the 45th president of the United States of America promised to single-handedly save the world.